Sunday, July 31, 2005

Guy Anthonys Restaurant


http://www.guyanthonys.com/www/guyanthonys/restaurant/index.asp

Located at 2208 Jerusalem Avenue, Merrick NY, Guy Anthony's seems a bit out of place, located next to a strip of typical cheesy Long Island shops including a Barber and a 24hour Smoke shop. We were invited to meet friends here last night and were pleasantly surprised by a really outstanding meal. While it was not horrible, we cannot say the same for the service.

When we entered we were abruptly met by a woman who said "TWO?" There was no warmth or welcome in her monosyllabic "greeting". We explained we had reservations with a couple we were meeting. The service person then said she'd put us at a table for four while we waited. We suggested we wait at the bar which looked quite nice. Don't most restauranteurs know the key to profit is to usher guests to the bar?

A moment later our friends arrived and we sat at a table anyway. We were served throughout the meal by a very introverted and fidgety young waiter. I suspect he was very new. At one point my husband asked him for a recommendation for a light red wine and this kid just looked puzzled. It didn't surprise me. I don't think he's old enough to drink let alone know the variations of wine.

The one annoying thing about this guy was that he hovered and asked us a million times if we were ready to order when it was plain as day that we were still reading our menus. It was getting a bit irritating, but the meal was well worth it.

I cannot remember the name of my dish but it was a daily special. It was a chicken topped with very thin eggplant and mozzarella cheese in a fabulous tomato sauce with penne. This sounds simple, but it was very fresh, and seasoned perfectly.

I hope this restaurant gets some service training soon because that would make the experience there perfect. I would definitely go again, twerpy young waiter or not.

3 comments:

Theresa said...

If you liked the food and also like to hear some wonderful music - broadway and standards come down on Thursday nights --- Doug Debon is a talented keyboard player from the days of Frankie & Annette.. Try to stump him with an obscure song... He's there most every Thurs. with a different female singer.. in fact I will be there on 6/21.. come down and give a request!

John said...

I recently took my wife and kids on a Sunday night. The atmosphere was pleasant and unhurried. The food was very good. Even the table bread was memorable. I mentioned to the owner, Guy, it was my wife's birthday and sure enough, the waiters came out after dinner with a slice of black forest cake (delicious)and candle to sing happy birthday.
Guy Anthony's is now on my short list of "special occasion" places when I want to stay local.

Judimae said...

My boyfriend and I went to dinner for my birthday last night. First-rate evening of good food, excellent service, and a very memorable meal. We have not had luck lately in chosing an Italian restaurant in the Merrick area. However, Guy Anthony's restaurant soon proved our disappointing experiences to be in the past. The bread was excellent, the veal very tender -- it did not even need a knife to be able to cut into this delectable meat. The sauce was done just right, and the portions were very large. The bar was more than ample and made a terrific Brandy Alexander. If you are fortunate to get Giovann for your waiter, you will be very pleased with your service. At the end of the meal, the waters came out to sing Happy Birthday to me with a lovely piece of "Warm Apple Cake and ice cream". I would definitely recommend this place to anybody that likes good food, and would like a terrific evening. We will try the restaurant on a Thursday night when there is entertainment.