Friday, July 29, 2005

Service Magic

I don't know what the outcome will be but I thought I'd post about my experience so far with ServiceMagic.com. I need to get my 1950's bathroom tiles removed and replaced including new wallboard. I'm sick of the crazy contractors around here who try to rip you off. Last year we had our sidewalk re-done and got quotes on the driveway as well. I received quotes ranging from $1500-$5000 to have my driveway covered in blacktop. The guy who quoted $5000 showed up in a brand new massive HUMMER. Please! Like I need to finance another car like that for him by being some sort of a chump.

I heard about ServiceMagic and gave them a try. Basically you enter your needs and contact details on the website and licensed and insured contractors call you to arrange a visit and quote. You can later review the service person on the website and once they bid, you can review their history and reviews.

I have to say that so far I like the service. I only have had one person call, but he called me Thursday and came here today. He was VERY nice, personable and seems willing to work towards finding a price we can agree on. I basically told him I"m broke and can barely afford to fix the walls so hopefully he can come up with a figure we can handle. He's going to e-mal me the price over the weekend. I'll post a follow up when he contacts us again. I figure this method cannot be any worse than searching the PennySaver or phonebook for a tile guy.

ServiceMagic – Find Home Improvement Contractors and Real Estate Agents

UPDATE---

It is now Sunday afternoon and I have not recieved my quote via e-mail yet. I'm hoping to hear from this man soon as we are hoping to sort out our tile problem before things get really nasty in our bathroom

UPDATE #2---

It is now Monday evening and still no word from our noble service man. Things were starting off so nicely but now he's ignoring us. I don't want to call him because WE are the customers and should wait to see how reliable he is. If he cannot even quote when promised, then who knows what will happen if we hire him.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Stay away from Service Magic and find your own contractor. Serice Magic matched my daughter with a contractor for roofing, siding and windows and now my daughter is out $17000.00 she paid to start the job and the contractor is no where to be found.
I asked for a roofer and they sent me some lawn service guy!! I didn't fall for it.

Unknown said...

Yeah, you have to be careful. I ran into a similar problem with Safelite. It's better to have a local auto glass repair company repair your windshield than a big company like safelite or triumph. I called Auto Glass Atlanta and got my windshield replaced the next morning. The repair took about an hour, and he cleaned the windshield glass very well.

dancilhoney said...

I am very impressed with the service that lakewood colorado windshield repair provides. This is the height of convenience for me & I’ve used the services several times.